Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Ruining Good Things

The new book Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child by Anthony Esolen caught my eye today as I was passing by the new book shelves because I am ALWAYS looking for ways to ruin good things.

I was hooked when I read this in the introduction:
"Here now for the first time, are ten sure ways to destroy the Imagination of Your Child...I am sure that a judicious application of even three or four of these methods will suffice to kill the imagination of an Einstein, a Beethoven, a Dante, or a Michelango." (from p.xiii)

Mind you, I haven't read the whole book, but what I have read, strangely enough, reminds me of Lemony Snicket and makes me want to put everything else aside so that I can give it my full attention. I imagine the message here will be similar to that found in Susan Linn's The Case for Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World which is a great parenting read.

No comments: