Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fred McKissack, Jr. Answers MORE Questions

ACPL Writer in Residence, Fredrick McKissack, Jr. answers four of your questions:

Dear Mr. McKissack,
Where is your favorite place to vacation?
Sincerely,
Amanda

It might sound corny Amber, but I am good to go anywhere as long as I'm with family and friends. I recently spent a couple of days in Denver with one of my oldest and dearest friends. That was a lot of fun, and I look forward to going back someday with my wife and son.


Dear Mr. McKissack,
What was your favorite book as a child?
Sincerely,
Amber

As a kid, my favorite books were Yertle the Turtle, The Cat in the Hat, Where the Wild Things Are, and anything with the Peanuts characters. My mom and dad used to read us Aesop's fables and they'd tell us stories from Greek mythology. When I was a little older, my aunt, a social studies teacher, gave me a set of social studies and geography books. I loved those books. I read encyclopedias, too. Also, The Pushcart War remains a strong influence with me today. It's an amazing, fun, and compassionate story.


Dear Mr. McKissack,
What are you working on now?
Sincerely,
Kim

Well Kim, I'm working on a first draft of a graphic novel based on a Union spy named John Scobell, and I'm looking forward to working on a new draft of a YA novel tentatively titled "Subjects." All I can tell you about the book is that it is set in the near future and that it involves a smarmy TV producer, a lot of money, and a high school boy who is going to have to make some choices he'd rather not have to make.

Dear Mr. McKissack,
Have you always been a writer or did you have another job?
Sincerely,
Kim

I've worked as a writer for the last 19 years. I'm including the time I spent working as a freelance journalist, a full-time reporter, and as an advertising copywriter at agencies in Chicago and Milwaukee. Prior to that I worked in other fields, including a stint as a broker's assistant at a small commodities firm. It was a fun job, but very stressful.

Do you have a question to ask Mr. McKissack? Email me and I will be sure that he gets it. Answers will be posted on the blog.

No comments: